There are three modes (or ways) of data transmission. They are:
- Half-duplex and
In the simplex mode, communication can take place in only one direction as shown in figure.
A device using the simplex mode of transmission can either send or receive data, but cannot do both.
- Television Transmission
- Keyboard of a computer because the keyboard can only send data to the computer
Line printer (receive only)
in half-duplex mode, communication can take place in both directions, but only in one direction at a time as shown in figure. Thus, a half-duplex line can alternately send and receive data. It requires two wires.
- Voice communication (Telephonic Talk) because the only person is supposed to speak at a time.
- Transmission of data to and from a hard disk.
- Half-duplex is also used to connect a terminal with a computer. The terminal transmits data and the computer responds with an acknowledgment.
- A citizens band radio where the user must either talk or listen, but cannot do both at the same time.
In full-duplex mode, communication can take place in both directions simultaneously as shown in the figure.
Full-duplex line improves efficiency as the line turn-around time required in a half-duplex arrangement is saved. It requires four wires.
- Data transmission.
- A telephone system using full-duplex mode allows the user to talk and listen at the same time.
A comparison Between simplex, Half-duplex, and Full-duplex Mode of Data Transmission
|Particulars||Simplex mode||Half-duplex Mode||Full-duplex Mode|
|Direction of transmission||Communication in one-direction only||Both directions but one direction at a time simultaneously||Communication in both directions|
|Confirmation of the communication||No confirmation||Delayed confirmation confirmation||
|Number of wires required||One||Two||Four|
|Cost of transmission||Low||Average||High|
|Example||T.V. transmission||Voice communication||Data Transmission|
RELATED ARTICLES: CHECK OUT
Some words from the author’s keyboard
If this article was helpful to you please tell me in the comment section. In addition, if you have some suggestion regarding this article please email or comment. After that, I will consider your suggestion and take action on it. Thank you for scrolling my page. Love from my keyboard 🙂